When you are taking courses online, sometimes there is the temptation to get distracted. The internet beckons, with Facebook, Twitter and all kinds of sites out there just waiting to help you waste your time. In order to stay on track and complete your work, however, you need to stay focused and avoid these temptations. Here are five ways you can use your time wisely when taking classes online:
- Find a quiet place – One of the most important things that I have found I need when taking classes online is finding a quiet place to work. A lot of noise and movement distracts me and makes me unable to focus. Even songs with lyrics can make my mind not work as well as it should. To that end, I try to find somewhere quiet. If I have to block out noise, I pick music that is just instrumental or has lyrics in a language I can’t understand. That way I do not get distracted.
- Take breaks – I have noticed that when I start spelling badly, ponding the keyboard, or staring at the screen for long periods of time it means it is time for me to take a break. That is not a waste of time. When your brain gets burnt out you sometimes need to get away from the work for a few minutes to refresh yourself. Take a walk, get a snack, just get up and move and get your blood flowing again. Try to not look at any screens and give your eyes a rest. You can even take a short cat nap if you have the ability.
- Be organized – Staying organized is the best way to avoid wasting time. If you know what you have to do, how you will do it, and when you need it done, then you save a lot of time fooling around with the wrong things. Invest in a planner or download one online. Keep track of when assignments are due and which parts need to be done first. That way you have a plan and are not just working aimlessly.
- Do a little at a time –Along with organizing your work, you need to cut your work into manageable parts. You do not need to spend all day or all night working and burn yourself out. Cut the work into reasonable objectives that can be accomplished in a short period of time. That way you can work on them a little each day and be done in a way that doesn’t make you feel overwhelmed with work.
- Stay interested – If you want to complete your school work in a positive way, then you need to make it interesting. Pick projects and ideas that appeal to you if you have a choice. If you are bored and disinterested that will reflect in your quality of work. As long as you keep school interesting, you will be better off and your grades will be higher.
There are many ways to use your time wisely when taking classes online, but these five should start you out on the right foot. The most important thing you need to remember is to keep yourself from getting burnt out and enjoy your time learning. After all, the more you enjoy what you learn the more you will retain, and that is the point.
Nancy Parker was a professional nanny and she loves to write about wide range of subjects like health, Parenting, Child Care, Babysitting, nanny, www.enannysource.com/ etc. You can reach her @ nancy.parker015 @ gmail.com